The Holy Monastery of Timios Stavros

Monasteries of Samos : A holy tour...

The Monastery of Timios Stavros (Holy Cross) was founded in 1592 by the monk Nile the Latrinos, one of the two founders of the Monastery of Megalis Panagias, when Ecumenical Patriarch was Jeremiah II (1530-1595).

The impressive and majestic Catholic of the Monastery, passing through various phases of existence, finally was rebuild following the type of the three-aisled domed basilica, with esonarthex (inner) and an exonarthex (outer) to the west side, supported by pillars. The original building was built in the early 17th century, according to an inscription written on a cross, which was placed in the foundations of the Church. The Catholic, grounded in depth and mounted on wooden beams, took its present form in 1838, when Abbot was Gregory from Mavratzeoi, a village near the Monastery.

The building complex, which surrounds the Catholic, follows, in terms of arrangement, the normal monastic type. The ground plan had a quadrilateral shape with two storey cells, but a fire, during German occupation (1941-1944), destroyed half of the eastern and the entire south wing, in the place of which an orchard with fruit trees was grown.

The Monastery was flooded with pilgrims from the opposite Asia Minor until the 1922 Catastrophe, and the exchange of populations between Greece and Turkey that followed.

Characteristic is the wooden carved iconostasis, a unique and incomparable artwork, decorated with scenes taken from the Old and the New Testament, within a rich and flourishing abstract decoration, painted by artists from Chios in 1854, mainly due to the assistance and support of Cyril II (1792-1877), Patriarch of Jerusalem, who served as one of the brothers of the Monastery and emerged as one of its great benefactor and donor. Cyril II also donated the large and imposing chandelier, while the two banners to the Monastery where donated by Ierotheos II, also Patriarch of Jerusalem, who also served as one of the brothers of the Monastery.

The wooden carved and gilded pulpit (made in 1873) and the Episcopal throne (made by Nicholas from Chios in 1844) are significant artworks of great cultural value.

Fragments of frescoes, made by an artist called Ioannis (John) from Samos, are preserved, but only in the sanctuary. The frescoes are dated back in 1848.

The Monastery celebrates on 14th September (the Third Sunday of Lent) and in Great Wednesday, when the Foot Washing Ceremony is taking place. It also has the great honor, privilege and blessing, to keep, among many other relics, a piece of the True Cross, due to the close relationship it has established over the years with the Patriarchate of Jerusalem (as said before brothers of the Monastery were the subsequent Patriarchs Cyril II and Ierotheos II, as well as the current Patriarch Irenaeus I). The piece of the True Cross is exhibited to pilgrims for blessing and sanctification. Phone Number: 2273091278

Monasteries of samos

View all #monasteries sites worth visiting in Samos



3.Things to Do



The new way of tourism in Greece